Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You know you're a Redneck when...

You have a picture of yourself posing with antlers and your friends call you Elmer Fudd.

You own an article of bright orange clothing and there's a chopping block outside your back door.

We've been in Wyoming for over a year now, so I think it's safe to say we've been initiated. But now Dan is officially a true Wyoming Man. He has been on many elk hunts with Brian in years past, but this year was the first time he had his own hunting license. He shot his first elk (a 5 point) on opening day, October 15th. I don't really get the whole hunting thing, I guess it's the thrill of the pursuit or whatever, but I do know it's male bonding at its finest. Processing your kill is expensive and we don't really have anywhere to store a bunch of elk meat, so Dan did what Brian does most years. They both gave their meat to a family in Afton whose children all have cystic fibrosis. Deer and elk meat is really high in protein, and a high calorie, high protein diet is really important for people with cystic fibrosis.

I sent Dan with the point and shoot camera to snap a few pictures of the hunt, but it was so cold that the battery wouldn't operate. I had to settle for a picture of Dan and his rack in our back yard. I think it's better that way- I didn't have to look at the glassed over eyes of a dead elk with his bloody tongue hanging out to the side.

I think we're gonna be on Jeff Foxworthy's Christmas card list this year.

8 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

His hat says it all. Too bad the picture doesn't have your baby in just a diaper. :)

The Queen Vee said...

That picture of Dan reeks of testosterone and manly pride. Usually this is said to a woman but I've got to say to Dan: wow, what a rack!

Lois Ann said...

I guess you may remember your mother telling you that she grew up on elk and venison meat. Way to go Dan! Sue's grandpa would be proud, carrying on that Wyoming tradition.

Lori Gerten said...

LOVE IT!! We are already on Jeff Foxworthy's x-mas list. Remember Wally? Welcome to the redneck club!

Apis Melliflora said...

We almost qualify ...when I say we, ahem, I mean "he."

Brian and Rebecca Nate said...

The hat is fitting for Dan for sure. Mack needs to have cowboy boots and just a diaper on next time. Remember Kaden outside that one time? True redneck!

Sue said...

Melissa, Thomas has an Elmer Fudd hat, doesn't he?

Becca, that was classic. Why didn't we get a picture of that?

Becky in Wyo said...

I'm still cracked up that Dan has truly become a Wyoming native. I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER in a million years would have guessed it when he was still in grad school. Life is funny that way. I hope you guys are still around if we ever get to live in Star Valley.