Monday, February 16, 2015

What's Your Happy?

I was called to be a Family History Consultant a few months ago. I am loving all the new discoveries I'm making, I love the process of researching, and I love getting to know more about our ancestors. I also love helping other people make those discoveries. There's something magical about the first time you find a document with one of your ancestors on it. You can't believe it's there in black and white! And that you found it right there on the internet!

Last Sunday as I walked home from the church after doing a shift in the Family History Library, I rounded the corner into our driveway right at 6:00. I was greeted by this sight:


Dan, slaving over a hot stove making dinner. For some reason it made my heart so happy to see him there in the warm glow of our little house. He has been making dinner on Sundays for the past few weeks (when he's not at work) while I'm at the Family History Library. It is so nice to come home to a meal already prepared, no children whining at me the moment I walk in the door. It's a small gesture, but to me it spells LOVE.

We have a tradition in our little family that every night at dinner we all share one thing that made us happy that day. It has sort of become Amelia's role to get us started by asking, "What's your happy?" and we go around the table. Some days it's as simple as this food, or I got to take a nap today, or I got to play with a friend. On this day, my Happy was coming home to our warm house and finding Daddy making dinner, listening to music on the iPod with the kids, teaching them the finer points of musical trivia. Name the only rock band to perform a xylophone solo in one of their songs.

Violent Femmes. You can thank Dan next time you're on Jeopardy.

No comments: