Sunday, February 21, 2010

Wyoming may be Butt Cold, but at least it's Pretty!

It's been an unusually dry winter here in Cokeville. Salt Lake City, Springfield, Missouri and even Washington D.C. have all gotten more snow than we have. It has snowed less frequently than usual, but also each snowfall has been pretty minimal. I think the biggest amount of snow we've gotten at once is 4-5 inches. Very unusual.

Something we've had a lot of this winter is fog. And fog combined with freezing temperatures creates the most beautiful, delicate blanket of white over the land.

Each pine needle or blade of grass or leaf is individually encapsulated in frost.

Everything looks as if its been spun in a white cotton candy machine.

There may not be a lot of snow, but we always have an abundance of icicles. This is the view out of the kitchen window, which is on the north side of the house.

You may have to enlarge it, but did you notice there are two flies on the window? Who has flies in their house in February? I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that we live right by the horse corrals, but dang! Crazy Wyoming flies, they must be the toughest creatures around!

This one, above, is my favorite.

Love me some pretty icicles, especially reflecting the blue light from the sky.

6 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

You have officially made me hang my photography skills tail between my legs. Dang, girl, you's talented!

Lori Gerten said...

Did National Geographic call yet?

Brian and Rebecca Nate said...

We have had quite the cold spell. Just when I thought my building a fire days were over....

Lora said...

LOVE the pictures!!! this is me bowing to you...
love you

Becky in Wyo said...

It's not "creatures" honey, it's "critters". Learn the hick/redneck Wyoming lingo.

Becky in Wyo said...

Every landscape has its own beauty, especially if you look closely, but the mountains are still my favorite.